How does #RDUK work?
It is a monthly moderated conversation on Twitter covering various nutrition topics. The hour-long twitter session will cover nutrition themes related to the latest headlines, new studies or controversial topics. Anyone with a twitter account can participate but the conversation will be moderated by registered dietitians (RD). Special guests can be invited to lead the discussion. Questions will be asked by the moderator (Q1, Q2, Q3, etc.) and participants will respond to questions (A1, A2, A3), add comments or RT other answers.
Monthly conversations will be archived and can be accessed at a later date.
When is it?
Usually the first Monday of each month at 8-9pm UK time. Each month we cover a different topic. Search for #RDUK on Twitter to find out the theme for the month and to see updates.
What will we discuss?
Each month we will cover a different topic related to nutrition. This topic will be communicated in advance of each chat session
Topic 13 May 2013: ‘Getting to the Bottom of Gluten Free’
- 1. Which medical conditions require a #glutenfree diet?
- 2. What does #glutenfree actually mean and is it the same as wheat free?
- 3.A #glutenfree diet is popular amongst celebrities, especially those trying to lose weight, can it help?
- 4.What are the daily challenges of following a gluten free diet, any tips to help people?
- 5.Where can people find good information to share & discuss any #glutenfree questions, recipes, foodie tips etc..?
Read what we discussed here: Gluten Free
Topic 4 March 2013: ‘Sugar – friend or foe?’
Read what we discussed here: Sugar – Friend or Foe?
Topic 4 Feb 2013: ‘The Pregnancy Diet’
Read what we discussed here: Pregnancy Nutrition
Topic 14 Jan 2013: ‘Fad Diets’
Read what we discussed here: Fad Diets
Topic 3 Dec 2012: ‘Infant Cow’s Milk Allergy’
Read what we discussed here: Cow’s Milk Allergy
Topic 12 Nov 2012: ‘Cancer Prevention’
Read what we discussed here: Diet & Cancer Prevention
Topic 1 Oct 2012: ‘Food and Mood’
Read what we discussed here: Food and Mood
Topic 3 Sept 2012: ‘The Mediterranean Diet’
Read what we discussed here: The Mediterranean Diet
Topic 2 July 2012: ‘Nutrition Myths’
Read what we discussed here: Nutrition Myths
Topic 18 June 2012: ‘To Carb Or Not To Carb’
Read what we discussed here: To Carb or Not To Carb
Topic 21 May 2012: ‘Weaning’
Read what we discussed here: Weaning
Topic 16 April 2012: ‘The Low FODMAP Diet & IBS’
Read what we discussed here: The Low FODMAP Diet & IBS
Topic 5 March 2012: ‘Beefing up Malnutrition’
Read what we discussed here: Beefing Up Malnutrition Archived Chat
1. Dietitians work in isolation a lot of the time and taking part in a twitter forum can help us network, share information on a range of topics and collectively improve our nutrition knowledge.
2. Trust a dietitian to know about nutrition. There is a lot of mistruths circulating out there, so let’s set the record straight and take more control of social media.
3. You may learn something new and add to your continued professional development.Help raise our dietetic profile in the UK with journalists, medical, nursing & health care professionals and health related charities.
The chat happens live on Twitter and you can join in at any time during the hour. Simply log in to Twitter and type in #RDUK or start a column on Tweetdeck for #RDUK.
Sasha Watkins (@TheFoodCoachRD)
Azmina Govindji (@AzminaNutrition)
Emma Carder (@EmmaCarderRD)
We have the full support of the British Dietetic Association.
Please drop me an email or contact me via Twitter (@TheFoodCoachRD) if you have any questions.